Statistics of the Year
The Royal Statistical Society has opened nominations for Statistics of the Year 2020.
Last year’s winning and highly commended statistics covered a diverse and fascinating range of topics – such as deforestation, life expectancy and productivity.
To nominate for 2020, all you need to do is fill in the entry form linked below. We have a judging panel comprising eminent statisticians, journalists, economists and pollsters, chaired by the RSS vice president for external affairs, Professor Jennifer Rogers. The winning statistics will be announced in December this year.
Read about last year’s winning statistics.
- Your nominated statistic should ideally have a public interest dimension to it
- The statistic does not need to have an established media profile – it could be a number that is newsworthy but, in your view, has not previously received the attention it deserves
- The statistic should be accurate, coherent and not misleading
- It should ideally provide an interesting insight into a specific issue
- Examples could include:
- A statistic that debunks a popular myth
- A statistic relevant to a key news story or social trend
- Your nominated statistic does not necessarily need to have been produced within 2020 but it does need to have become relevant in that time
- The RSS particularly welcomes nominations that reflect a wide breadth, geographic spread and diversity of topics. We particularly encourage nominations covering topics or issues that have been under-represented in previous Statistics of the Year.
Submit your nomination.
Please submit your nomination by Sunday 29 November 2020.
- The judges will consider any potential limitations or criticisms of the statistic they select – you are urged to address any such potential drawbacks proactively in your submission to help strengthen its chances of success
- In its announcement of the winning and ‘highly commended’ entries, the RSS will set out the statistics’ significance and what, in the judging panel’s view, they do and don’t convey.
An award-winning initiative
Statistics of the Year was awarded MemCom's 2019 'Best Campaign' award. In the words of the judging panel, it was 'A very well executed campaign. The results and impact have been staggering, with a relatively small original outlay generating impressive results ... In relation to increasing media and public awareness of statistics that have real-world impact, the results have been phenomenal!
Similarly, our Statistics of the Decade initiative (covering 2010-19) received 'Highly Commended' status from MemCom's judges in 2020. In their words: 'The public may often think of statistics as dry and dull, but this campaign really brought the topic to life, engaging audiences nationally with a quiz and other tools and making highly effective use of a range of media. The initiative has made an important contribution to delivering the objects of the [RSS's] royal charter.'
Follow the hashtag #StatsoftheYear on social media for updates!