This course will run over 4 afternoons. This is an intensive virtual course on advanced aspects of R programming. This workshop is primarily aimed at R users who do not have a formal background in computing. The course will be a mixture of lectures and computer practicals and will cover conditional programming structures, functional programming, S3, S4 and S6 objects.
Please note: Bookings will close 4 working days before the course start date or when the course has reached its maximum capacity.
This is an intensive course on advanced aspects of R programming. This workshop is primarily aimed at R users who do not have a formal background in computing. The course will be a mixture of lectures and computer practicals and will cover conditional programming structures, functional programming, S3, S4 and S6 objects.
- An understanding of object orientated programming.
- Appreciate the fundamental differences between the S3, S4 & R6 object systems.
- Be able to create S3, S4 and R6 objects with associated methods.
- Modifying user argument in functions calls and quoting code with quosures.
- Using quasi quotation
- Using tidy evaluation within function calls
- An overview of object orientated programming.
- The S3, S4 and R6 object structures.
- Modifying user argument in functions calls
- Quoting code with quosures
- Using quasi quotation.
- Passing functions as arguments
- The R environment.
- Reference objects and mutable states.
- Object methods and generic functions.
The course will be of interest to anyone who uses R, in particular those who want to develop their computer skills to cover more advanced topics. This course would be useful for participants who do not have a formal background in programming.
“I am not scared of R anymore. It was actually fun!”
“The balance between lectures and practicals was good”
“Very clear lectures and hand-outs”
Dr Jamie Owen
Dr Jamie Owen has a PhD in Statistics, with a focus on scalable Bayesian inference. Since leaving academia, he has applied these skills in a number of commercial settings. His focus is using complex data sets, to give meaningful insights.
Additionally, he has delivered R training courses ranging from introductory to advanced programming and big data analytics at a wide range of companies and academic institutions in both the UK and Europe, including the Francis Crick Institute and the MoD.
14 November 2021
14 November 2021
RSS CStat/Gradstat/Data Analyst
also MIS & FIS