Inspire school students
Get involved with promoting statistical education and help improve students’ statistical skills and confidence.
There are many education outreach activities seeking volunteer input. The RSS works with several of these to encourage fellows to participate, drawing on their experiences. These include:
- STEM Ambassadors: A UK-wide network linking people working in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) with schools and provides training and development
- I’m a scientist…. or I’m an engineer, get me out of here online competitions enabling young people in schools across the UK and Ireland to talk to people working in science and engineering
- Nuffield Research Placements: Summer placement scheme for secondary school students to undertake research in businesses and universities across the UK
- RI Masterclasses: Hands-on and interactive extra-curricular sessions in mathematics, engineering and computer science for young people across the UK
- School governors: Contributing to the success of schools through governance and oversight.
Our members have created resources for members such as Hands-on statistics to help their fellow members deliver activities to young people.
Suggestions of further working groups to develop materials are welcome. Contact our education team by email: email@example.com.
If you have a track record of delivering activities to school-age students, you could consider applying to be the RSS William Guy lecturer.
We run a range of projects and activities to support teaching such as free online e-Teacher membership for school teachers, to help you be involved with our work and stay in touch with the statistical and data community. Find out more and join today.