Location: Birmingham, Manchester, Exeter
Salary: £40,911 - £45,004
Closing date: 25/01/2021
Your new role
This exciting role presents you with the opportunity to use your statistical expertise and experience to produce robust, consistent analyses on the performance of our strategic road network. You will be working with a variety of datasets (primarily related to customer satisfaction, road safety, and traffic), and creating both technical reports and insightful commentaries for non-analysts. A key part of your role will be to provide statistical advice and guidance across the organisation, so you’ll need to be a great communicator with a confident working knowledge of a broad range of statistical techniques. You will have great inter-personal skills to enable you to work closely with a range of important internal and external stakeholders.
This role can be based in either Birmingham, Exeter, or Manchester. Ad-hoc travel to other Highways England locations and to key external stakeholder offices will be required. We are happy to accommodate flexible working arrangements and welcome a discussion around how we can make working for Highways England work for you.
What you will be leading on
To be successful
- Statistical analysis into the customer satisfaction, safety and performance of the strategic road network, producing analytically assured reports and outputs that communicate the insight effectively across all levels
- Setting and implementing consistent standards and guidance for using data, applying statistical methods, and communicating analytical outcomes
- Providing high quality statistical advice across the organisation
- Developing the statistical capability of the team and the wider organisation
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with analysts across the organisation to champion consistent analytical approaches
A bit about us
- A numerical degree in a relevant subject containing formal statistical training, or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience of producing statistical analyses to support decision making
- A practical understanding of a range of statistical methods and their application to real world problems, including techniques for survey design and analysis of survey data
- Knowledge of R, Python, or another programming language for statistical data analysis
- Excellent communication skills and an engaging communication style, with the ability to present with impact to a range of audiences
- Able to work collaboratively to build and maintain strong relationships
- Experience of developing performance metrics or targets is desirable
The role of the Performance Analysis Unit is to provide bespoke analysis and insight to support decision making across the organisation. We develop and report a number of the company’s performance metrics and play a key role in developing the Performance Specification, published within the Roads Investment Strategy. We are located within the Company’s Strategy and Planning Directorate and help build the evidence base to support future investment planning, working with our analytical colleagues within the Chief Analyst’s Division.
Want to know more?
For a copy of the role profile please email email@example.com quoting reference HIG04518
Video Interviews are planned to take place mid-late February.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.