Director of Research
The Education Endowment Foundation (The Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) is an independent charity dedicated to breaking the link between family income and educational achievement.
We do this by summarising the best available evidence in plain language for busy, time-poor teachers and senior leaders, generating new evidence of ‘what works’, and what doesn’t work to improve teaching and learning, and supporting teachers and senior leaders across the country to use this evidence to achieve the maximum possible benefit for children and young people.
As the Director of Research, you will play a crucial role in leading the development and delivery of the EEF’s evidence generation activities, ensuring EEF research is mission-aligned, of the highest standard, and responsive to the needs of stakeholders across the English education system.
The Director of Research is a key member of the EEF’s executive leadership team, and is responsible for integrating strategy and operations across our Programmes and Evaluation teams, ensuring that: both teams are supported and enabled to collaborate; our research and evaluation activity is aligned to our emerging research agenda; our research is robust, cutting-edge, mission-driven, and integrated to deliver value for money and to develop new emphasis on aiding research to scale.
The role is also crucial to overseeing the work that cuts across Programmes, Evaluation and other teams - such as the production of Guidance Reports, the interpretation of findings into policy and knowledge mobilisation work, and the evaluation of that work.
To join us as a Director of Research, you will need:
- Deep knowledge of the education sector and a demonstrated commitment to the aims of the EEF
- Fluency in quantitative and experimental methods and analytical approaches
- Exceptional interpersonal and written communication skills, evidenced by close, successful relationships with senior research and education stakeholders
- The ability to inspire the confidence, enthusiasm and support of colleagues and decision makers
- Proven strategic leadership experience, and an ability to drive impact across a range of approaches
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to manage and motivate high performing teams working in a complex environment
This position provides an excellent opportunity for a pro-active and entrepreneurial leader to develop and oversee strategy to achieve optimal impact, excellence and value for money in research addressing our mission.
What you can expect from us
How to Apply
- Salary of c£70k+ per annum D.O.E
- Flexible start and end working times (core hours between 10am and 4pm)
- 27 days’ holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays
- Pension matched with a 5% employer contribution
- Life insurance cover
- Interest-free season ticket loan and cycle scheme
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave pay (conditions apply)
- Access to a confidential Employee Assistance Programme
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please head over to our online recruitment portal to download the recruitment pack and submit your application: https://bit.ly/3ev1jDz
Application Open: 23 April 2021
Application: Close: 23 May 2021
Stage Interviews: w/c 31 May 2021
Stage Interviews: w/c 7 June 2021
We reserve the right to change the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
If you have a disability and can demonstrate that closing this post early would impact on your ability to submit an application in time, please contact our Human Resources team to request arrangements for an application to be submitted within the original time-frame.
The EEF is committed to create a workforce that is diverse, promotes inclusion and supports everyone to progress and achieve, regardless of background characteristics.
To assist us in understanding how we are progressing to meet these aims and to identify areas for further focus, we are seeking your support to collect information to produce and monitor equal opportunities aggregate statistics.
As part of the application, you’ll be invited to complete an Equal Opportunities section. Completing the form is not mandatory and will not affect or be linked to your application.
Thank you for your interest in working at the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF). If you have any queries, please contact us at Recruitment@eefoundation.org.uk